I’m officially writing the book after abandoning all codependent fantasies that the same elves who make shoes would show up one night and magically transform 5 years of blogging into a glitter-bound manuscript ready for submission. They would’ve also made me my own pair of signature boots; something feminine, with a heel, that I could also walk in that would match everything in my closet. Alas, I got real and so far it’s working out great. 10,766 words and counting which means I will be posting and playing here much less. Less, but not never since I can’t write the book on lunch breaks because we can only afford one subscription to Word and this site lives in my phone. I promise to visit.
Saying it out loud is like announcing you’re going on a diet or becoming a minimalist; accountability. Hey e, why are you buying that 300 lb. pallet of mayonnaise? So I can make egg salad whenever I want?
Since buying Word I realized my blog doesn’t format paragraphs and I have no idea why or how to fix it which has created a sense of foreboding dread because I know eventually some publisher or editor is going to get my manuscript and send it back with a thousand edits using that Track Edit feature which I also don’t know how to use. That right there is confidence…wrapped in fear, because I’m still me.
Just for fun here’s a list of things I’ve researched for the book so far:
- Historical Blizzards
- The Bible
- 1970’s shades of green, Mustang
- Topographical New England map
- Genesis; Phil Collins, Abraham
- The Hero’s Journey
- Summer of 77 top 40
- Ocala, fossils, Silver Springs
- Vince Guarldi
- Statistics on Homelessness
- How do you spell spinabifida?
- Frozen lemonade flavors
- Chaos theory
- Chaos quotes
- The little french song (which then required singing, phonetic spelling and 7 minutes of frustration because I couldn’t remember which french song I meant and it turns out there are more than a few)
- Unplanned pregnancy rates
- Chapter outline worksheet (Which I found but didn’t use and instead drew a map which has been profoundly more helpful because I’m visual. This required first finding tape, my sketchbook and the right pen which took way more time than I planned but now my map sits under the monitor so I know exactly where I’m going and that’s when the words just started pouring out.)
- Defunding mental health institutions, U.S
- Editors, NY (I’m getting Grammerly thanks to Cherilyn cause who can afford those rates?)
- Vintage candy
- Peanut caramel thing
- Chevy Impala
- Bill Brasky
- Dr. Scholls, vintage wood (now I kinda want a pair; they made the best sound.)
Do you ever check your research history? What’s the weirdest thing you ever looked up?
Ok, tea, then back to it. Happy Sunday! Happy writing! xo